Tuesday, September 20, 2011

He Giveth and He Taketh Away




My son chose to be baptized a couple weeks ago. I am so proud of his choice and I will help him be the best person he can be as long as he will let me.

In our church we have a thing called tithing. Tithing is where you set aside 1 tenth, or 10% of your income and give it back to the church. I say give it back because the way I see it I probably wouldn't have anything if my Father in Heaven hadn't blessed me with it in the first place.

So for his baptism Brayden's Auntie Em gave him a card that contained silly Bandz and $5. I asked Bray what he needed to do with his $5, it took some hints then he realized he needed to pay tithing. He was not excited. He said well ummmm.... I have some pennies. I told him 10% was 50 cents. He kind of pouted awhile and then put it out of his head. Well when we were ready to go he was holding his $5 and it almost blew away when he was in the car. I was lucky to have saved it. Just a few minutes later I heard whales coming from the car. I ran over to see what was wrong. He had lost his $5. We looked everywhere. I looked in the bushes in between car seats, everywhere. I told him he lost it cause he didn't want to pay his tithing. With tears in his eyes he said "I'll pay it now!"

Grandma promised she would keep an eye out and we promised we would find jobs so he could earn back his money. No lie 2 days later I got a text from Grandma (that's right she texts, she's pretty awesome) She said she had found Brayden's $5 in the back yard around the side of the house. Guess what Brayden did on Sunday. He paid his tithing for the first time.