Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Don't Be A Hater



Living in Utah has opened my eyes to good and bad things. There is a very high population of LDS people here. I happen to be 1 of those in that population. I happen to love the church, it's teachings, and the way I choose to live my life. I try not to impose my beliefs on others. I tend to be in the camp of live and let live. However, I have noticed that in Utah there are some unusual laws that tend to mimic the LDS standards. There has been controversy here about Temple square and the spit of land in between the temple and the Joseph Smith building to the east. The church has posted signs saying no smoking and asking to use polite language. Lots, and I mean LOTS of people have gotten all up in arms because they think this is taking away their rights to free speech. Well I say if you come in my house you need to be respectful and live by my rules while you are a guest in my house. If you don't like it you are more than welcome to leave and we can meet on more neutral ground.

I have heard a lot of people say they hate living in Utah because of all the "Mormons." They say we are self-righteous and feel that we are better than everyone else and impose our beliefs on the entire state. I say "MALARKEY!" The laws that are passed in this state are a reflection of who the voters put in office (I promise I will not get political). I'm not sure who's fault it is that the state is made up of the voters that it is but isn't that the point of voting and democracy, majority rules?

The last time I checked, and it wasn't that long ago, it was still a free country and you are free to move about as you wish. I understand that money plays a pivotal roll in one's ability to move. So if you don't have the money to move, pissing and moaning about living among the "Mormons" will definitely help the situation. I personally think if you are stuck here, make the best of a less than ideal situation for yourself. Instead of fighting so hard to counter act our values by trying to be so outrageous and outraged, relax, most of us don't bite. We need to learn how to coexist without trying to outdo the other, it's pointless. I'm not just talking about the non-LDS person that hates the church, I'm also talking about the LDS person who thinks they know it all and thinks they have a right to tell someone how to live. Heavenly Father put choice and accountability into play for a reason. I may not approve or support someone's lifestyle but I certainly have no place to tell you what is right or wrong. If you ask, I'll give you my opinion, but remember you asked.

I happen to love this great big world we are in. I happen to love the different cultures and traditions. I could do without the whining and disrespect toward one another though. Come on people we are better than that!

No comments: