
Since October is breast cancer awareness month, I wanted to share an experience.
In July we had just moved into our new house, with a big fenced in back yard. When I finally had 2 seconds to relax I threw on my tankini, turned the sprinkler on for the kids, and set up shop on my new deck, it was perfect. I flipped onto my tummy to make sure my tan would be even (we have to worry about these things). As I was laying there I wondered what in the world I was laying on. I smoothed out my towel so there were no wrinkles and it still felt like I was laying on a pebble near the center of my chest. Further investigation revealed a lump. At first my heart stopped, I had a lump in my breast. But through much training I have been taught not to worry until there was a reason. I had heard of fibroid cysts and benign cysts so I just assumed it was the harmless type. I was scheduled to have an ultrasound of the lump to see what it was.
The day that I went to have my ultrasound the nurse came to get me from the waiting room. She took me into a room that had a massive machine and no ultrasound machine in sight. "Lets go ahead and get your mammogram done.'" she said. As I pulled my stylish hospital frock tighter around me I said, "Oh no, I'm just here for an ultrasound, no mammogram for me!" she told me it was protocol for everyone with a lump to get a mammogram, I said "Fine" as I rolled my eyes and winced through the whole thing. There is just something not so awesome about having your boobies smashed like pancakes and almost making out with the machine that is doing so. The machine comes down to smash your and your head is basically in the way so you are all kinds of twisted up and then they yell at you not to move, while you can't breathe.
Long story short, there were no scary masses, no cysts, just a firm collection of healthy breast tissue.
Steve and I have had family members pass away and battle breast cancer. The saying is true, CANCER SUCKS! It's painful for everyone. One of my heros is Aunt Afton. Steve's aunt. She has battled with breast cancer for years now. She is one of the most amazing women I have ever known. She has had such a good attitude, and she is strong. I'm grateful for the opportunity to have her be an example to me. I wish I had the power to help all those suffering from cancer but if no one ever died, I think we'd have some pretty serious problems.
I also wanted to give a shout out to the NFL. Can I just say it is precious the way they sport those bright pink accessories! And how cute is it that they have a reputation for being... into the ladies, it's no secret that they like 'that area' but yet they are making a valiant effort to raise money to keep tatas healthy! Thanks guys!
2 comments:
I'm glad that everything is okay. That is so scary. My Mother and my Husbands Mother have both had breast cancer. About 1/2 year ago- I also found something on my breast- luckily nothing to worry about. But it does make you aware for sure. Thank you for sharing!
So glad your lump was nothing to worry about! What a relief for you, I'm sure.
Post a Comment