Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Time Will Tell



Since we've moved I have thought a lot about friends. It's a funny concept- friends that is. You meet these people, accept them and make them part of your life. I'm still trying to figure out what primal need "friends" fill. I have been more guarded and a lot more careful these days because of some less than desirable experiences.

I was talking to one of my best friends in the whole world, Jason about a person I had met. I was telling him I thought they were really cool and could possibly be a bestie. He said "time will tell." How right he was! Me and Jason have been friends for more than 10 years, and even through the awkward teenage years! We haven't always kept in touch, Facebook wasn't always around ya know. But when we did talk or correspond in anyway it was like going home. I didn't have to tell him my life story, I didn't have to justify what I had done, HE didn't have to justify things he had done. There is no explaining of actions, just acceptance and caring. (A little side note: Come to fine out Jason and Steve could be the same person, they try to have conversations through me, I think they are crushing on each other!) This particular friendship did not last 10 years, I'm not sure it was even 10 months but hey that's ok it was great while it lasted.

I have had friends come and go. Some gracefully like the waves of the sea and some aggressively like Ms. Irene and her devastation. It's taken me a long time to realize that's ok. Friends can come and go. People come into your life and it can be so joyous and wonderful but sometimes it's just a joyous and wonderful when they are no longer part of your life. These people all serve a purpose in shaping who we are. When they are done serving this purpose they can fade away. The great thing is that we always have the memories and the lessons learned, good or bad.

I cherish those people that have stuck around with me. There are some friends I thought I would never part ways with, but it happens and though sometimes there is pain and greif involved, time heals all wounds. I have come to realize that the people I keep going back to or keep coming back to me either are family or are considered family. There are some days I walk in the room where my boys are playing and am just overwhelmed by the joy and love I feel for them. When I cry they come and cuddle me and tell me it's ok, even if they have no clue why, they truly are my best friends in this whole world! Not to mention my Steve, it's been so fun to talk his ear off with worthless chatter that he could care less about, that's what real friends do though they sit there and listen until your done and then they take their turn. it makes me so happy to know that I am surrounded, supported, and loved by some absolutely amazing people, even if some of them are across the country!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Friends do come and go- BUT Family is always there.

The Knighton Fam said...

Yea for friends! I hate that we saw each other EVERY DAY and now it's about once every 65 years...But I know we'd pick right back up where we left off. :) Love ya, Mare!