Sunday, October 26, 2008

Easy as Pie?




I just want to let you know the old adage, "easy as pie" was coined by a very amazing woman. She must have been amazing to think making pie was easy. Maybe it origianlly meant easy as eating pie, who knows.

I took on this adventure this week. I decided to make my first apple pie. I called my mom-in-law for any pointers that she may have. She always makes amazing pies. When I asked if there was anything I should know she asked if I wanted her family pie crust recipe, well... DUH! If anyone knows anything about me it's that I love making "soul food". Not the collared greens and fried chicken but the soul food that makes your family feel good. Food that is made with love and decades of testing and perfecting. So she recited the recipe (from memory) to me (sorry I'm not sharing ;) When I got off the phone it was off to work.

I got out all the ingredients needed. It was only like 3 so I thought I was in great shape. I started out fine, but then my little helpers wanted in on the action. As much as I love them this procedure was an exactly not exact process and could not have an extra pair (or 4) of hands working on it. So I started yelling (so much for the love part) and I started freaking out that it wasn't going to come out perfect. After all it was my first time it had to be perfect.

So about an hour later the crust had survived me and the boys. I was able to roll it out, kind of and get the apples in. I have to say it was just about the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I took a big sigh, and put my pie in the oven. I also had to go on a scavenger hunt for some foil to put around the edges. It was out of my hands now.

BEEEEEEP!!! That's exactly what my timer sounds like. My pie was done! Of course I had been peeking through the oven door like ever 2 minutes, but now it was done I pulled my pie out and it smelt heavenly. I put it on the counter to cool. All during dinner Steve would look over my shoulder "just to check on it", and he kept asking if it was ready to eat yet.

The moment arrived and it was delicious.

3 comments:

tara said...

You are so awesome for even attempting it. Your boys will be spoiled with your cooking and no girl will ever be good enough for them! HA!!! I better start teaching Brytten how to make a mean apple pie!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Yay for pie! I have never made a pie in my life (and most likely will never make a pie in my life) so you are my hero!

Debbie said...

If you want to play along...visit my blog. I'm boo-ing YOU! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!